Thursday, January 18, 2007

Sleep Well

A cold spell is sweeping the nation, even in Arizona. All of my newly planted flowers are struggling for survival even with my limited attempts to protect them and cover them with frost cloth. I can fret about what to do next but God is the only one who can control the weather and give life to these plants. The same holds true when storms sweep through my life. Consider these verses in Proverbs:
My child, use common sense and sound judgment! Always keep them in mind. They will help you to live a long and beautiful life. You will walk safely and never stumble; you will rest without a worry and sleep soundly. So don't be afraid of sudden disasters or storms that strike those who are evil. You can be sure that the LORD will protect you from harm. Proverbs 3: 21-26 (CEV)

Rather than floundering around without any direction, my instructions are to use common sense and sound judgment. Does that mean, for example, that I must decide where my dad will live now that he is alone? No, because I am supposed to use common sense or have a sane and realistic attitude to situations or problems. Dad will make the decision and I cannot protect him any better from the consequences than the frost cloth protected my plants. But I always appreciate that God never leaves us hanging—He gives us hope and a promise…in fact several promises. When the circumstances of life seem out of control, God gives us a mind to know Him and His will. Maybe that is the reason He often talks about what we put in our minds. But, we will save that for another day. Today, it is enough to know that our Father knows the road ahead and gives us insight when we ask Him. He is there to protect us and, best of all, to give us a good night’s sleep. Sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment