Thursday, September 27, 2007

Missing the Party

You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.
Psalm 23:5-6 (NLT)

Oh, have I created a firestorm with my granddaughters! And I thought it would be no big deal. My youngest is turning three this weekend and I won't be there for her birthday party. As much as I wanted to be there, I have some commitments that make it impossible. The problem is that this is the first birthday that I have missed for any of the girls and the older two are completely undone causing the little one to decide that I just didn't want to come. Talk about sticking the knife in my heart and then twisting it!!! The fact that we took her shopping at Build-a-Bear over Labor Day does not count, or that I am flying out in the middle of October to see them. But I will not be there on THE DAY. Yet, how often do we do this very same thing with our Lord? He gives us good gifts every day but if we don't get what we want—when we want it, we are more likely to whine and complain than to be grateful and remember how faithful He has been to us. A favorite Psalm reminds us that He is there to bless us, even in the presence of our enemies. And He is not done showering us with those blessings but will continue through our entire life until we finally join Him at His house for the big party. I have sent the presents and will call Allie on her big day. I will tell her how much I love her and am with her in spirit. Isn't it nice to know that our Heavenly Father does this for us every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment