Friday, June 20, 2008

Exclamation Point

He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Psalm 23:2-3 (NIV)


I like to listen to talk radio while driving but I clicked the radio off after a few minutes of a particular host who was subbing for one of my favorites. He was too "in your face" and a bit exhausting to listen to. I thought, "I need a comma rather than an exclamation point today." The phrase, "exclamation point" comes straight from Beth Moore who describes herself as one. I love Beth and it is a very apropos description of her. And, sometimes, that is just what I need, a cheerleader, or more likely, someone to give me a kick-start to get going. But today, I am tired. Headed to a family reunion this weekend, we took the night flight, which included a two-hour drive to Memphis, and my head finally hit the pillow at 3 AM. I was in no mood for a lecture; I needed a calm, quiet, soothing, "comma" kind of person on the radio. The off button served its purpose. I am so thankful that God gives us the Holy Spirit who knows exactly what we need. There are days when I draw on the fruit of the Spirit and then He gives me opportunities to show His power to those I meet. Yet, there are moments when I don't even know what to pray. Disappointment or sorrow may overwhelm. Frustration and anger interrupt my journey and send me on a detour. But the calm in His voice leads me to still waters and allows restoration of my soul and spirit. A little rest is just what I need. Then…watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment