Friday, May 19, 2006

Birthday Wishes

This has been my birthday “week.” Waking up to find a card at the computer from my husband along with several email greetings from family and friends is a great way to start the day. There is nothing quite like a phone call at 7:30 AM with three little girls singing “Happy Birthday, Nana.” Breakfast, lunch, and dinner with loved ones remind me of my blessings. Cards and phone calls from all over the country bring such joy. Yet, the years pass quickly and when I look in the mirror I wonder where the girl who feels 16 inside is hiding among the wrinkles and “blonde” hair reflected back to this birthday girl. In Psalm 71:18 it says, Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come. (NIV) The one good thing that comes from age is experience. I know that God has planned each day and my responsibility is to share the good news of God’s graciousness, wisdom, and power. The opportunities occur daily -- visiting with a neighbor I have not seen for ten years, a dozen young moms questioning me about the trials of raising children as we make pie crusts, or a granddaughter asking me to sing Jesus Loves Me. My prayer is that God will give me occasions to share what He has done…and I will do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment