Thursday, June 1, 2006

The Least of These

The nation is awash in news of immigration. It is not my intent to comment on the debate but to share a slice of life. Last night I volunteered with some friends at the Monument Crisis Center, which is located in the middle of a multicultural area of our community. This center provides food, referrals, legal help, and English classes to about 300 people a month. Our task was to replenish the shelves with the food items donated by local stores and prepare sacks of commodities provided by the US government. On Tuesday, one of the busier days, over 80 people were given food, depleting the shelves. In two crammed rooms filled to the ceiling with recently delivered foodstuffs, six of us worked side by side all evening. We shared a good laugh over the numerous boxes of Passover items donated and smiled at a carton of candy Easter eggs. Yet, the weekly generosity of the businesses, the diligence of the two paid staff, and the faithfulness of many volunteers make this a safe place for those who need help. I am reminded in Matthew 25:35-40 (New Living Translation) For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me. '"Then these righteous ones will reply, `Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison, and visit you?' And the King will tell them, `I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'

No comments:

Post a Comment