Tuesday, August 15, 2006

"Character" Part 3

“Good character… is not given to us. We have to build it piece by piece-by thought, choice, courage and determination.” ~ John Luther

We attended a candidate forum last night. Men and women of character are often hard to find these days in the realm of politics. However, as citizens it is our duty and responsibility to cast informed votes. New to the state of Arizona and unfamiliar with the candidates, I wanted to hear and see first hand the men and women who wish to represent me. Are they people of character? Will their decisions on bills be based on personal gain or for the good of the electorate? Are they running for the power attached to the office or for the passion of their beliefs? Do their priorities coincide with mine? Corruption by politicians is a big story that has been exposed by every media source and it is easy to become cynical and jaded about the character of anyone willing to enter this arena. However, there are some very good men and women serving our country. In other seasons of my life, I have worked hard for candidates and was confident they would win but it did not always happen. I learned that God’s ways are not always my ways – He knows the end of the story. Politicians may think they have the power and ability to make important decisions but God is the one in ultimate control. It says in Daniel 2:21 (NLT), He determines the course of world events; he removes kings and sets others on the throne. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the scholars. I gained new insight into the people who will be on my ballot. I pray that God’s choice will be the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment