Monday, November 20, 2006

Thanksgiving Thoughts

This has been a year of change for us. As I reflect on all that has happened, I can truly say, “The Lord is good.” Our pastor reminded us yesterday to have an attitude of gratitude – in all things. The big issues are easy to list but he shared a few examples of the simple things – the ones easily missed:
I am thankful for…
The partner who hogs the covers every night, because they are not out with someone else.
The child who is not cleaning his room, but is watching TV, because that means he is home and not on the streets.
For the mess to clean after the party, because it means that I have been surrounded by friends.
For my shadow that watches me work, because it means I am in the sunshine.
For the parking spot I find at the far end of the parking lot, because it means I am capable of walking and that I have been blessed with transportation.
For the pile of laundry and ironing, because it means that I have clothes to wear.
For the alarm that goes off in the morning hours, because it means that I am alive.

I am very thankful for the significant things in my life -- my husband, children, grandgirlies, friends—both old and new, home, health, faith, and freedom. But the pastor’s list gave me a different perspective and encouraged me to reevaluate those daily events that often annoy or irritate me and to find ways to be grateful. If I have learned anything this year, it is to celebrate each day. We can count on problems, crisis, illness, and brokenness to touch us but our God is able to meet every one of our needs with His power, wisdom, and love. Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever. Psalm 136:1 (NLT) Take a few minutes before Thanksgiving and write down God's blessings to you this year – both in significant and minor ways. Why? After the children of Israel had experienced the miracle of walking across the dry land of the Red Sea, God gave instructions to take stones from the riverbed and pile them by the side of the path. The purpose was to remind them of God’s faithfulness every time they walked by and saw those stones. So when storms hit, pull out your list! Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
go into his courts with praise.
Give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the Lord is good.
His unfailing love continues forever,
and his faithfulness continues to each generation.
Psalm 100:4-5 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment