Sunday, June 10, 2007

Thirsty?

Desert gardening is proving to be a challenge. I never claimed to have a green thumb but growing plants in California was a snap for two reasons: I was familiar with the kinds of plants that grow well and the weather was more temperate. We are close to celebrating one year in the southern Arizona desert and in that time we have had temps as high as 118° and as low as the mid 20's with two inches of snow on the ground. Now, that is hard on plants! It does not help that I have chosen to use a Mediterranean type of greenery rather than the typical desert drought-tolerant choices. But I like color, flowers, and I loved Italy. Extremes in weather challenge even the hardiest plant. Yet, the heat is absolutely intolerant of any failure of my drip system. Without water, all the time, care, and attention are useless. I can talk to my plants all day but they are not going to revive because of my few words. Maybe, that is why Jesus used water as a means to talk with people when walking along those ancient dusty paths of Israel. Remember the story of the woman at the well who met Jesus and volunteered to draw water for him to drink? He provided more that just words by offering her living water but she did not get his point. She was listening with her earthly ears but He was speaking heavenly truth. Jesus replied, Anyone who drinks this water will soon become thirsty again. But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life. John 4:13-14 (NLT) Yet, by the time they had finished their conversation, the woman ran off to tell her friends of this Man she had met and the wonderful of gift of life that she had received. It is easy to take for granted the benefits of water in our lives -- both for our natural bodies and our spiritual ones. But when the withering heat of trials, temptations, or hardships threatens to destroy us, drink the Living Water that refreshes and sustains. God is not stingy with his water like I am with my drip system. If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Rivers of living water will brim and spill out of the depths of anyone who believes in me this way, just as the Scripture says. John 7:38 (The Message) Thirsty?

No comments:

Post a Comment