Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Good Laugh


It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. 2 Samuel 22:33 (NIV)

I sat with 1200 women as we listened in rapt attention to Liz Curtis Higgs share how God had taken her from a life that was certainly less than perfect to a vibrant, fulfilling life in His strength. She would be the first one to tell you that when she was weak, He was the strong one. At times, we laughed until our sides hurt yet during the day I found tears leaking out of my eyes. This woman is genuine in her love for us and for her Savior. I heard her speak some years ago and encouraged several of my friends to join me in a trip across town for a day of spiritual refreshment. Sometimes we get so bogged down in the "dailyness" of life and become swallowed up in our problems and challenges. It is so easy to let them take over and wear down our spirits. We finally lift our heads and realize that there is no joy. We forget how to laugh. We become disconnected from our friends and feel so alone. But Liz reminded us what good medicine it is for us to laugh together. The Bible confirms our experience: A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person's strength. Proverbs 17:22 (NLT) Had a good laugh lately? Call a friend and go for coffee. Read a book—just for fun. Take a walk for the pure enjoyment of the noticing the beauty of God's creation. Let Him soothe your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment