Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day One

This is the day the Lord has made.
      We will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24 (NLT)

If I hear the phrase "from day one" one more time, I think I'm going to have to do serious damage to the TV.  Whether it is a politician, a banker, a commentator, or an oil executive, all anyone is trying to do is cover their tracks, make excuses, or defend themselves.

Today's verse is often quoted in church on Sunday morning. It has always been a happy verse for me as it directs my worship to the One who made me. But the Psalmist was NOT having a good day when he penned those words. He had suffered anguish, been in a war, his nation had been overrun, his land invaded, and his life at risk. Completely helpless, he turned to the One who could make a difference and received His blessing. God turned around a hopeless situation, delivered him, and brought victory. Yes, this is the day the Lord has made.

Day one began for me when I accepted Christ as my Savior and life changed forever. There was no defense for my sin, all the excuses were gone, and He, in forgiveness and love, washed me white as snow. As a result, no matter what the day brings, I look to Jesus for direction, protection, encouragement, joy, and peace. I may be in tears but through it all, He is with me and makes my day complete.