Thursday, May 29, 2008

Rocky Path

God does all these things to a man— twice, even three times- to turn back his soul from the pit, that the light of life may shine on him. Job 33:29-30 (NIV)

Today is Spa Day. My sweet husband gave me a birthday gift certificate for "the works" and I am really looking forward to it. It has been a long month…in fact, several long months. You may have noticed in past blogs that life around here presented challenges. For many weeks, early in the year, I took the blame for not being the wife he needed. We even had a series of counseling sessions with our pastor to try to smooth out the rough edges. Only married for four years, we discovered the past sneaking up and influencing some of our responses to each other. I wanted to work to change mine and received some great help by reading Love & Respect. However, the lows that Mark hit appeared more often and went deeper no matter what either of us did. Over the months, I prayed for joy for him because I could see contentment with life slipping away from his countenance and personality. I had no idea that what I was observing was depression. I just knew that at times, the Mark that I loved had disappeared and was very hard to find. He was just as frustrated and couldn't do anything to stop it or pull himself out of it. We had no idea of what we were dealing with, so we struggled through those days. I walked on eggshells so as not to aggravate him. He kept to himself. But God did not leave me and spoke to me through His word, especially the Bible study, Living Beyond Yourself. I don't know why I was surprised but each week as we studied a different fruit of the Spirit, I found the encouragement that I needed…love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, self-control. It was just what the Doctor ordered for a troubled heart. Now, I notice that the subject of depression is everywhere I turn – from an article in Ladies' Home Journal to a PBS special last night. My prayer is that we can share together what we learn as we struggle along this rocky path. There is light…and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment